CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-23 06:35:08 - Boise State trending down?

AndreWhere (1252)

Boise State trending down?

They're 2-2 after getting embarrassed at home by Virginia. They'll likely beat BYU (though it's hardly a given) and then lose to SDSU, leaving them at 3-3. Haven't won their conference or finished ranked since 2014. Weren't competitive in their bowl game last year against the Fighting Quagmires of Baylor U.

The rest of the MWC is pretty damned mediocre so 7 or 8 wins seem likely, but that's a far cry from the Boise State of 2007.

Looking at this team from afar, I wonder if they haven't caught the same disease that we contracted circa 2000. They punched above their weight for a few years, and got some national attention. Then reality set in. They're a mid-major program with a 36,000 seat stadium trapped in a mediocre conference where they've got a big, fat bull's eye on them.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2017-09-23 07:14:17 - Boise State trending down?

Lloydlake (139)

Re: Boise State trending down?

Watched the game last night. Not the Boise we've come to expect. UVA dominated them. On the blue turf.

#3 2017-09-23 07:20:50 - Boise State trending down?

AndreWhere (1252)

Lloydlake wrote:

Watched the game last night. Not the Boise we've come to expect. UVA dominated them. On the blue turf.

I guess they'll probably hover around 7-9 wins for a while, like we did. But their comeuppance will happen, as it did for us.

#4 2017-09-23 08:58:11 - Boise State trending down?

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Boise St is 5-5 over their last 10 games. Attendance was announced at 33K. Watching the game they didn’t have 30K in the stands. Before the game was officially out of reach they had a half empty stadium.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#5 2017-09-23 09:48:15 - Boise State trending down?

SoMs Eagle (189)

The difference in money in the last ten years between the P5 and G5 has grown exponentially. It will eventually kill them as it has us. There is no way to stay competitive in this environment.

#6 2017-09-23 09:52:30 - Boise State trending down?

southern miss slacker (304)

they thumped us like a jr. college team both times we played. we never had a chance.

#7 2017-09-23 10:44:47 - Boise State trending down?

SoMs Eagle wrote:

The difference in money in the last ten years between the P5 and G5 has grown exponentially. It will eventually kill them as it has us. There is no way to stay competitive in this environment.

Agree. It will be interesting to see what Boise does, if anything, to address the poor play and dwindling athletic dept revenue. SDSU has quietly become the belle of the ball in the MWC.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#8 2017-09-23 10:46:34 - Boise State trending down?

southern miss slacker wrote:

they thumped us like a jr. college team both times we played.

All four times......

#9 2017-09-23 11:03:27 - Boise State trending down?

southern miss slacker (304)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

All four times......

we played them 4 times? I must have blocked out the other two (over by halftime) games we played.

#10 2017-09-23 11:14:33 - Boise State trending down?

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

All four times......

we played them 4 times? I must have blocked out the other two (over by halftime) games we played.

I went to the 2012 game. That picture I posted of the empty East upper deck (the one with the dude and his T-shirt Boise fan kid) is from that game.

#11 2017-09-23 11:16:18 - Boise State trending down?

AndreWhere (1252)

SoMs Eagle wrote:

I think we've got a bit of an advantage compared to them. We're in a better locale, we've had more sustained success, and we're a better overall school. That said, we never did much that people across the whole country cared about, so they've got that.

#12 2017-09-23 12:49:24 - Boise State trending down?

SoMs Eagle (189)

AndreWhere wrote:
SoMs Eagle wrote:

I think we've got a bit of an advantage compared to them. We're in a better locale, we've had more sustained success, and we're a better overall school. That said, we never did much that people across the whole country cared about, so they've got that.

All of that is fine and good....but it doesn't matter. $s is all that matters in this environment and the P5 have successfully cornered the market in those.

#13 2017-09-23 13:19:59 - Boise State trending down?

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

We're a better overall school.

Based upon?

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#14 2017-09-23 14:04:05 - Boise State trending down?

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

We're a better overall school.

Based upon?

Bigger endowment, been an actual university much longer, higher ranked in most published rankings, admit a smaller proportion of applicants... I know people, especially people in Hattiesburg, like to run down USM, but it's not entirely justified.

#15 2017-09-23 14:07:59 - Boise State trending down?

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

Higher ranked in most published rankings.

Many a school has ridden poster schedules to the top.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#16 2017-09-23 15:26:15 - Boise State trending down?

AndreWhere (1252)

SoMs Eagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
SoMs Eagle wrote:

All of that is fine and good....but it doesn't matter. $s is all that matters in this environment and the P5 have successfully cornered the market in those.

It's worth asking where all that money goes. You can keep the lights on, so to speak, for a football program for about $10 million per year, I'd guess.

If you're pulling in, say, $100 million, where does all that cash go? Biggest thing is probably coaches' salaries. There are coaching staffs that make 5-10 times as much as ours does, and they're good at what they do. Look at how rarely Alabama turns over the ball, for example.

We have been able to find good coaches on a budget, because there's this perception that the next stop after USM is a P5 head coach job, or a job in the NFL. Four of six head coaches, starting with Collins, have done that here. Then you look at the assistants that have built a resume here: Lindsey, Bower... maybe Carmody.

Beyond spending a bunch of cash on coaches, programs spend money on amenities for the players: ridiculous locker rooms, smoothie bars, 8 different uniforms per season... who knows? It's not a good thing, but it's expected now.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2017-09-23 15:32:27)

#17 2017-09-23 15:37:56 - Boise State trending down?

SoMs Eagle (189)

AndreWhere wrote:
SoMs Eagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

It's worth asking where all that money goes. You can keep the lights on, so to speak, for a football program for about $10 million per year, I'd guess.

If you're pulling in, say, $100 million, where does all that cash go? Biggest thing is probably coaches' salaries. There are coaching staffs that make 5-10 times as much as ours does, and they're good at what they do. Look at how rarely Alabama turns over the ball, for example.

We have been able to find good coaches on a budget, because there's this perception that the next stop after USM is a P5 head coach job, or a job in the NFL. Four of six head coaches, starting with Collins, have done that here.

Then you look at the assistants that have built a resume here. Chip Lindsey is the most recent example. Coach Dawson has definitely impressed people during his time here, too. This is a good place to coach, and we get a lot of good coaches.

Beyond spending a bunch of cash on coaches, programs spend money on amenities for the players: ridiculous locker rooms, smoothie bars, 8 different uniforms per season... who knows? It's not a good thing, but it's expected now.

Expected by the 4 and 5 star players......and the 2 and 3s that are lucky enough in this day and age of increasing demand and shrinking stock. Not to mention those that were over looked in the past. Athletes are harder and harder to come by and all of the perks of the high resource programs are getting so far ahead of the rest of us that getting any of those athletes is like winning the lottery.

#18 2017-09-23 15:48:47 - Boise State trending down?

AndreWhere wrote:

We have been able to find good coaches on a budget, because there's this perception that the next stop after USM is a P5 head coach job, or a job in the NFL. Four of six head coaches, starting with Collins, have done that here.

With the ever building pressure to win and amount of $$$ increasing at a rapid rate you are going to see quicker triggers on coaches. Schools like Missouri and even Georgia Southern could realistically fire their fairly new coaches this season. On the winning side of the equation UCF and even Purdue could be losing their coaches within a 1-2 year window due to success.
Schools that want to truly build their program and have some semblance of stability need to look at what USF is doing with hiring a good, proven coach that was in the fire at a top program. Charlie Strong will be a fixture in Tampa for at least 4 years because he wants the ability to build his program with time on his side. I think Kevin Sumlin will be a great hire next season for a patient program as well. Avoid the Les Miles and Butch Jones hires and find the experienced coach that is still young and has an edge to still build something great.

#19 2017-09-23 15:53:48 - Boise State trending down?

AndreWhere (1252)

SoMs Eagle wrote:

Expected by the 4 and 5 star players......and the 2 and 3s that are lucky enough in this day and age of increasing demand and shrinking stock. Not to mention those that were over looked in the past. Athletes are harder and harder to come by and all of the perks of the high resource programs are getting so far ahead of the rest of us that getting any of those athletes is like winning the lottery.

Don't you think a lot of it depends on connections among coaches and players? There will always be players that get overlooked. Some kids just played for a HS coach who was new or had pissed off the wrong person or whatever. They end up at Troy State instead of Auburn or whatever.

I saw it at Covington High in Louisiana. They were good for years, but they never sent anyone to a I-A school that I can remember. Then St. Paul's across town has one good year (1994) and they have 3 seniors getting I-A scholarships (Big 10, SEC, and a service academy). Football has its cliques, man.

Board footer