CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#61 2017-09-22 10:11:08 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Let's get ahead of ourselves

beagle wrote:

I'll say this about Hammond, I would have him on the staff as some sort of scheduling negotiation guy. The guy was here for a year and was a whiz with the scheduling. Had a home/home lined up with Miami and Vandy as well (rumor but believe it to be true). There were also discussions with Florida State and Notre Dame about a possible game in the Superdome. Not sure if they were ever serious, but talks did take place.

Some ADs are good at scheduling negotiation, some just aren't. Giannini was incompetent, but he did bring in exciting opponents. McGillis, OTOH, was terrible at scheduling. Got 1 P5 home game and that was because UAB screwed UK but shutting down their opponent. 2nd best deal was probably TROY.

Gilbert has done a pretty good job thus far getting deals going with State and Tulane.

Those are all valid points, but what happened to the Miami and FSU games?

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#62 2017-09-22 10:24:53 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

beagle (173)

AndreWhere wrote:
beagle wrote:

I'll say this about Hammond, I would have him on the staff as some sort of scheduling negotiation guy. The guy was here for a year and was a whiz with the scheduling. Had a home/home lined up with Miami and Vandy as well (rumor but believe it to be true). There were also discussions with Florida State and Notre Dame about a possible game in the Superdome. Not sure if they were ever serious, but talks did take place.

Some ADs are good at scheduling negotiation, some just aren't. Giannini was incompetent, but he did bring in exciting opponents. McGillis, OTOH, was terrible at scheduling. Got 1 P5 home game and that was because UAB screwed UK but shutting down their opponent. 2nd best deal was probably TROY.

Gilbert has done a pretty good job thus far getting deals going with State and Tulane.

I don't what happened to the Miami game. I guess when he left, that deal was off.

The FSU series was never a done deal. It was just discussed. Would have been a 1-1 with our home game in NOLA. Same thing with Notre Dame.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#63 2017-09-22 10:28:33 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

AndreWhere (1252)

Notre Dame in the Dome would be huge. I'd bring at least four people to that.

#64 2017-09-22 10:34:28 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

skyvoyager (177)

AndreWhere wrote:

we would bring at least 35K to that game

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#65 2017-09-22 10:36:17 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

beagle (173)

AndreWhere wrote:

Apparently his selling point was that New Orleans has a lot of Catholics. LOL.

Another Hammond thing was that he called up the Big 12 office fairly regularly asking what we needed to do be considered if they expanded. Can't make this shit up.

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-22 10:36:51)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#66 2017-09-22 10:39:37 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

beagle (173)

HAMMOND: This is Jeff Hammond, athletic director at Southern Mi—
BIG 12: *beep*

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#67 2017-09-22 10:40:52 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Black Diamond Reb (418)

beagle wrote:

Not sure if they were ever serious, but talks did take place with Miami, Vandy, Florida State and Notre Dame.

" Hey P5 AD, This is The Healer from from the University of Southern Mississippi, wanna play a game?"

"Who?"

End talk

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#68 2017-09-22 11:09:01 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

AndreWhere (1252)

beagle wrote:

HAMMOND: This is Jeff Hammond, athletic director at Southern Mi—
BIG 12: *beep*

There was a time when the Big XII was less implausible than it is now. Back then, though, our AD was focused on selling the CUSA thing so he could have extra naptime instead of doing work and stuff.

#69 2017-09-22 12:23:23 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

99beers (303)

"WE WILL BE FINE......"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#70 2017-09-22 12:25:00 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

TheChosenOne (295)

99beers wrote:

"WE WILL BE FINE......"

You got the F right but last three letters are the problem

#71 2017-09-22 13:08:02 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

TheHeadEagle (27)

beagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
beagle wrote:

I don't what happened to the Miami game. I guess when he left, that deal was off.

The FSU series was never a done deal. It was just discussed. Would have been a 1-1 with our home game in NOLA. Same thing with Notre Dame.

I completely forgot about the Miami rumors, very believable.  Never heard the Notre Dame rumors....and I don't believe those at all.

#72 2017-09-22 19:32:20 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

USMstang (303)

TheHeadEagle wrote:
beagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

I completely forgot about the Miami rumors, very believable.  Never heard the Notre Dame rumors....and I don't believe those at all.

I too heard the Notre Dame rumors.  And I think we should do everything possible to bring in ND, BYU, and anyone else big enough to travel well to the dome.  We should try it as the first weekend game of the year and schedule out at least 2-3 of them. As long as we break even, the stage is worth it.  If Hammond even discussed it with any ADs at those schools, he is the single most important visionary in our school's entire history...which means we TTT'd it bigger than ever before!

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#73 2017-09-23 10:32:22 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Black Diamond Reb (418)

USMstang wrote:

If Hammond even discussed it with any ADs at those schools.

giphy.gif

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#74 2017-09-23 10:55:55 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Notre Dame just scheduled a game with Western Michigan this week. Miami(OH), New Mexico, Ball St and Bowling Green all on their future schedule. They played Tulsa(Hurricanes won) and Nevada as well. Based on their scheduling history wouldn’t be hard to see them talking to us about a game in South Bend.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#75 2017-09-23 11:26:37 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

beagle (173)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Notre Dame just scheduled a game with Western Michigan this week. Miami(OH), New Mexico, Ball St and Bowling Green all on their future schedule. They played Tulsa(Hurricanes won) and Nevada as well. Based on their scheduling history wouldn’t be hard to see them talking to us about a game in South Bend.

Playing in South Bend isn't hard to believe. What's hard to believe is if they really did consider returning the trip by playing us in NOLA.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#76 2017-09-23 12:09:24 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

AndreWhere (1252)

beagle wrote:

Playing in South Bend isn't hard to believe. What's hard to believe is if they really did consider returning the trip by playing us in NOLA.

Our proximity to New Orleans is one of the few real advantages we have. We should play people there. The pitch isn't hard to make: our opponent gets to play a destination game that will be fun for their fans, and will attract a lot of alumni and T-shirt fans. And it's not like we're that tough of an opponent, most years, nor are we so shitty that we'll trash your strength-of-schedule.

It was our location that kept us afloat as an independent for decades. There just weren't that many major college independents in the South back then. In a lot of cases, you could play a Southland school, which (to varying extents over the years) didn't "count," or you could play us. It was enough to get us into the Metro, to get us games with Bama and FSU, to get us a home game with VT, etc.

At some point, we forgot this, and started relying on the whole C-USA thing instead. It was a mistake.

#77 2017-09-23 12:43:45 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

SoMs Eagle (189)

beagle wrote:

Why wouldn't they if the price was right?

#78 2017-10-22 21:38:45 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

I'm bumping this thread from a month ago. Take a look back at your season predictions. Anybody want to "massage" your original prediction, or double down?

#79 2017-10-23 08:29:15 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

AndreWhere (1252)

I think I've been pretty consistent in my prediction of 8 wins. It still looks like a pretty good prediction, although I was wrong about some specific games. I thought we'd beat North Texas and lose to Tech and UTSA.

#80 2017-10-23 13:48:00 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

TheHeadEagle (27)

"Oh, I think we fall to either North Texas or USTA.   It's gonna happen.  If it doesn't I'll gladly eat my words and immediately begin to predict a 9-10 win season.     In recent years Marshall has certainly been a thorn in our side.   And the Tenn game is an auto loss.  We NEVER win those games.  It'll be closer than some will think but that's a loss."

My response on Sept 19 regarding 9-10 win season.   So I was right about losing one of those Texas games...which wasn't hard to predict.  And I stand by my AUTO loss to TENN, even though they are terrible.  I'll predict this too, we lose to Marshall.    So that leaves UAB, Rice and Charotte.   Hmmm, UAB is a damn trainwreck waiting to happen but if Griggs starts...we win.    So I think we'll squeak by UAB, kill both Rice and Charlotte.....BUT we lose to TENN and Marshall.    That'll give us a 8-4 record, best case scenario in my opinion.   But UAB...it scares me as it should.   7-5 worst case scenario.

Last edited by TheHeadEagle (2017-10-23 13:52:41)

Board footer